Thursday, March 20, 2008

Girl Scout Samoa Brownies!

I was very much hit by the inspiration bug yesterday. I've come up with a recipe that combines two of my favorite things in this world: chocolate and Girl Scout Cookies. To start, I absolutely cannot say 'no' to the cute girl scouts camped out in front of local grocery stores, so I have amassed quite the collection of samoas, thin mints and do-si-dos. Though my Google research resulted in a few good recipes using the cookies as ingredients, I was surprised not to find more.
Since I was also the lucky recipient of TCHO chocolate from Blake Makes, I felt compelled to make something delicious with the smooth, dark chocolate in my pantry. Why not make Samoa brownies??

The Samoa brownies have a base oatmeal layer that is briefly baked and then topped with dark chocolate brownie batter, topped with an oatmeal - Samoa cookie topping. Divine! I could eat this entire pan in one sitting. The Samoas add a nice crunch to an otherwise very smooth brownie. I originally made only half the amount of oatmeal base & topping in the recipe & I regretted it. Next time, I will definitely make all of the oatmeal topping. You may have more than you need, but more is better than not enough!

Samoa Brownies
Base and topping:
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 Samoa Cookies, coarsely chopped

Brownie Layer:
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
8 oz fine-quality dark chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix oats, 3/4 cup flour, the brown sugar and baking soda. Stir in melted 3/4 cup butter. Reserve 1/3 of the oat mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture in pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Add Samoa cookies to remaining topping mixture.

Melt butter and half of chocolate in a 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Stir in brown sugar and vanilla. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is glossy and smooth. Whisk together remaining ingredients, then stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in remaining chocolate.

Spread batter over baked base. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture for the topping. (You may have leftover oat toppings, but use enough for your personal preference). Bake about 25 - 28 minutes or until center is set and oat mixture has turned golden brown. (Do not over bake.) Cool completely, before cutting (if you can wait).

2 comments:

Revolution Youth said...

Those. Look so. GOOD!!!

Unknown said...

drool.drool.drool.


those are my favorite GS cookies!